What Percentage of Heat Is Lost Through Windows?
On average, about 40 percent of a home’s total heat loss can be attributed to doors, windows, and the floors, with the other 60 percent lost through walls and the roof. Windows takes up a portion of that 40 percent, but how much depends on a number of factors, including the age of the windows, whether they were properly installed, and the temperature and climate outside. As windows age and deteriorate, or if they were not installed correctly, they can lose an even greater percentage of heat for a home, resulting in higher energy costs.
When heat is lost through a window’s glass panes or around the edges as a result of faulty or broken-down seals, it can cause energy bills to rise. That’s because your HVAC unit will have to work overtime to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature and keep up with all of the heat loss. If you have noticed higher energy bills or drafty air around your windows, you may want to consider upgrading. And, when it comes time to replace the windows at your residence, consider the home remodeling experts at American Home Design.
Replacement Vinyl Windows from American Home Design
For window replacement services, you can turn with confidence to the professionals at American Home Design. We have been a staple in the area since 1977, and in that time, we have earned a sterling reputation for excellence. We install Preservation windows, which are some of the most energy efficient in the industry. Thanks to Low-E coated glass panes and sturdy vinyl frames that do not peel, rot, or crack over time, these windows are designed and installed to mitigate heat loss from homes.
For more information about our energy-saving windows or the installation services we provide for homeowners throughout Nashville, TN, and the surrounding areas, contact American Home Design today.