Five Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Windows
Windows don’t last forever. In fact, well-maintained windows last 20 years on average before it’s time for replacement. But, this number can be lower if the windows aren’t properly maintained or the home is in an area that experiences extreme weather conditions throughout the year – scorching summers, snowy winters, etc.
So, how exactly do you know when it’s time to replace your home’s windows? Here are five signs that signal it may be time to trade out your old windows for new ones:
- They are visibly damaged or unsightly – If you notice that your windows are faded, cracked, chipped, peeling, or look just plain outdated, then it may be time to replace your windows. In some cases, a new coat of paint or stain will do the trick, but often, these symptoms mean a full replacement may be more beneficial.
- They allow air drafts – Air drafts are a telltale sign that it’s time for window replacement. If you feel drafty air entering your home around the frame of the window, it’s very likely that the seals have deteriorated and the window will need to be traded out for a newer one to prevent drafty air from entering your home.
- You notice increased energy bills – Drafty air can coincide with this symptom. Increased energy bills may be a sign that air from the outside is entering your home and making it more difficult for your HVAC system to maintain comfortable indoor temperatures. This can lead to increased energy bills and potentially shorten the life of your home’s cooling system.
- They are difficult to open and close – If your windows get stuck or don’t glide effortlessly when you open or close them, it’s probably time for window replacement. This will only get worse as the windows age, and it’s something that shouldn’t be ignored.
- You notice faded carpets or furniture – Faded carpets and furniture can be a sign that your windows are letting in too much light. Replacing your windows with newer, more energy efficient double-pane or triple-pane windows may be a great investment, especially if you notice sun damage to your furniture or carpet.
Window Replacement from American Home Design
If you notice any of the above signs and are ready to trade out the windows at your Nashville, Tennessee, residence, then you can confidently turn to the window replacement experts at American Home Design. We offer gorgeous, energy-efficient windows from top manufacturer Preservation® Windows. These are some of the finest replacement windows in the industry, and we are confident that they will improve your home’s energy efficiency and appearance.
For more information on the replacement windows we install for homeowners throughout Nashville, TN, and the surrounding areas, contact American Home Design today.